Friday, May 11, 2007

Delete Your Adwords Account

Of course we all know about Google Adwords otherwise you wouldn't be here reading my blog. You might even have your own money making blog. But, before I get carried away, I just wanted to let you know that if you are struggling with your campaigns either because your keywords are inactive or Google wants you to bid tons of money (like $10 per keyword) then there is help...but and this is a big BUT only if you've had your account for a while.

Let me elaborate a little. A couple of years ago, more like 2002, after I got out of the military, I spent a couple of weeks at home being lazy. Hey, after 4 freaking years in the ARMY, I think I deserved a break right? Well, anyways, I was surfing online and saw this ad for paid surveys. That peeked my curiousity and from then on, I was hooked on the different ways of making money online.

To make a long story short (I'm going to Vegas in a couple of hours, so I have to make this short), I got involved with Google Adwords after I joined this program by this dude named Howie Moore or something like that. Anyways, his program (which doesn't exist anymore) was about advertising to millions of people using free resources. Yeah right! I was naive and didn't know the things I know now, so I bought it and it was crap! But, he did have a learning resource center and he talked about Google Adwords and how it's the best way to make money online. So he provided me with products to sell (which was his own) and also provided me with keywords and PPC campaigns to put in my Adwords account.

Well, like I said, I didn't know what the heck I was doing, so I copied and pasted everything and started to promote his credit repair ebook. I didn't know that I had to monitor those campaigns in a daily basis. Needless to say, a month went by and I had a couple of sales that totaled about $200. Not bad for a beginner. BUT...guess how much my advertising cost was? Over $1,000 dollars. It LITERALLY wiped out my bank account. In fact I had overdraft charges for that month. I was heartbroken and broke at the same time and I didn't touch that account for about a year.

From then on, I bought more Adwords stuff and got my education on. When I felt I was comfortable with it, I started my account and created a bunch of different campaigns that didn't even make me a cent. My CTR (click through rate) was really bad. I barely cracked the 1% mark on all my campaigns. So basically I sucked!

Then in 2005 or 2006, we all heard about the Google Slap. That hit hard to a lot of affiliate marketers. I started a couple more campaigns and to my surprise, Google wanted me to bid at the least $10 freaking dollars for my keywords. I said HELL NO! so I paused all my campaigns.

It wasn't until I bought Adwords Miracle and the Profit Lance did I realize that Google keeps track of all the data in your Adwords account. So, even though I deleted all my prior campaigns, I still had poor CTR and QS (quality score) when I started new ones, so Google rewards me by giving me high keyword bids because according to my history, I sucked. Thanks Google! No matter how much I tried to group my common keywords or make my landing page relevant, I was still getting bitch slapped (pardon me) left and right.

So what did I do? I deleted my old account and created a new one. All I did was change my email and my billing info. Google still allows you to reactivate your old account if you want but why would I want to do that? So, right now I only have one campaign going which is doing great for me and it's the same campaign that Google wanted me to pay $10 for whereas by creating a new one, I'm only paying $0.40. In fact, it's doing pretty well and my average position is about a 2 so I'm really just paying $0.28 now. Not bad huh?

So, the MORAL of the story is, do your research and study about what you want to learn in life. Always remember that there are no such things as "get rich quick" schemes. Everything takes hard work and dedication just like any other job. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Ok, this turned out way longer than I expected and I have to hit the road. Remember, just because your having a bad campaign doesn't mean that you can just delete your account right away and open a new one. Especially if you barely opened your account. I had mine since 2002 and I made over 50 different campaigns. So you need to give it some time. Personally, if you're having a bad time with your Adwords campaigns, I suggest you pause all of them and learn everything there is to learn about Google Adwords then apply those techniques to improve your scores. Don't just close and open new accounts. Trust me, Google will catch up with you.

Try to have your account at least for a couple of years before you delete and start a new one otherwise just do your best to improve your CTR and QS. I advice you to only close and open a new account once because Google will suspect something about fishy going on and they will find you and might even ban you. That's just my guess. So be careful.

I hope you learned something from my mistake. I really gotta go. Time to spend my hard earned money on the blackjack tables this weekend. Wish me luck guys! Who knows, maybe I'll come back a thousand dollars richer or even better...a millionaire! haha I wish!

Technorati Tags: ,

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have similar thing.I paused a few goole adwords campaigs,after 3-4monthts re-opened,,but impossible to open new campain/group or redirect traffick to another website.I think google sends me non targeted trafficc now,

 
ss_blog_claim=41d1da84904498ab4c9db40338745ebb ss_blog_claim=41d1da84904498ab4c9db40338745ebb